Monday, October 27, 2014

Module 4; blog post 2!

I can't be the only one that is nervous for the ignite talk. Having to stand up in front of the class and talk about a topic for 15 seconds per slide is pretty nerve-wracking. Why is it I get nervous standing up in front of the class speaking but I have no problem shouting out in the middle of class and saying whatever I have to say via twitter where I know hundreds of people can see it. (277 followers if we wanna get technical). I think that many people, including myself, feel safe behind a computer screen.

I know that bullying has become an issue via the internet and that is caused by many different reasons but I think one reason being that you don't have to see that person face to face. I know that I sometimes become more brave when talking to teachers, employers and sometimes even friends when talking via the internet or texting. It's much easier to say what you have to say when you don't have to see the person face to face and worry about the possible fear of mumbling and stumbling all over your words.


I don't tend to be a very shy person and I say what's on my mind, sometimes a little too much, but I still get nervous when I have to confront someone about something in person. Whether it be a serious conversation I might have to have with a teacher or simply talking in front of a class I become more uncomfortable than if i was emailing a teacher or, like now, typing a post that I know the whole class has the ability to read.

I think that technology has taken away a lot of people's social skills. They have become so used to being able to hide behind a screen they don't have to ability to look a person in the eyes when talking to them or how to even talk politely for that matter. Technology can be an awful and yet wonderful thing. Oh, the love-hate relationship we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment